10. Ezra Prepared and set his heart to seek the Law of the Lord (to inquire for it an of it, to require and yearn for it), and to teach in Israel its statutes and its ordinances.
When we begin to study the Word of God, this is the attitude of mind we should have.
2 TIMOTHY 2:
15. Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, CORRECTLY ANALYZING AND ACCURATELY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH.
Remember that the word of God is not given to private interpretation. God wrote it. He knows what it means. We must be able to rightly divide the word of Truth. The Holy Spirit moved men to write the word of God. We must now let the Holy Spirit move us to understand the word of God.
Through the study of God's word we gain understanding and wisdom. During the process of reading, you lay a foundation, even though you do not understand much of what you are reading. This is where you become the chief in the kitchen. You are going to study the meal and find out how to prepare that meal that you've been eating and enjoying.
A. Tools for Study
In order to get the most out of your study time,
there are some tools that you will need to acquire:
1. A good study bible (Thompson Chain-Reference Bible, Amplified, NIV.)
2. An exhaustive concordance (NIV or Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible)
NOTE: These concordance books shows every word in the bible and its scriptural location.
For example: You can look up the word love, and it will show you everywhere it occurs in the bible.)
3. Bible dictionary.
4. A notebook (one dedicated for study notes.)
B. Tips for Studying
There are many ways to study the bible. I'm going to give you a few to help get you started.
(1) Chapter Study
In this method, you read and examine one chapter at a time. You try to locate the divisions in your life via the chapter, discover the theme for each division, and analyze the overall perspective of the entire chapter. Then you try to apply the truths that you have learned to your life.
(2) Book Study
In this method, you work on examining a whole book at one time (Example: CORINTHIANS.) Many bible studies are built around this method. It encompasses the chapter method above, but broadens its scope to the analysis of an entire book. The Amplified Bible gives you additional insight by going beyond the traditional "word-for-word" concept of translation to bring out the richness of the Hebrew and Greek languages. The Amplified helps the reader comprehend what the Hebrew and Greek listener instinctively understood as a matter of course.
The Amplified Bible (Large Print), features the text of the Amplified Bible, with explanatory and devotional footnotes; introducing and oulines to books of the Bible; a reference system contained within the text; a comprehensive bibliography of original sources cited in the footnotes; and maps.
(3) Word Study
This is the study I use most often. This study of the knowledge of God is an example of a word (TOPICAL) study. This is were your concordance will be most useful. You can pick a word, like peace, and use the exhaustive concordance to find every scripture that it appears in throughout the bible. Now you can read each scripture relating to that one subject.
This is the way that I gained a lot of insight into the scriptures. I have found that every biblical idea originates in GENESIS, ends in REVELATIONS, and is chained throughout the bible. In order to fully understand each idea, you must follow it from conception to completeness. If you need answers for a particular situation in your life, you can find every solution to that particular situation. This method will be great for answering questions that are formed during your reading time.
(4) Study Notes
Use your notebook to take notes on all your research. There is no use in building a bridge twice. It is a waste of time. By keeping good notes in your bible and notebook, you will be able to look back at your valuable research if you ever get confused. Don't be afraid to write in your Bible. Good study means using the books you have been given.
2. Pray to God for Understanding
5.IF ANY OF YOU LACK WISDOM, LET HIM ASK OF THE LIVING GOD, (Who gives) to everyone liberally and grudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him.
6. But it must be in faith that he asks with (no hesitating, no doubting). For the one who wavers (hesitates, doubts) is like the billowing surge out at sea that is blown hither and thither and tossed by the wind.
7. For truly, let not such a person imagine that he will receive anything (he asks for) from the
9. So I say to you, Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; seek and keep on seeking and you shall find; knock and keep on knocking and the door shall be opened to you.
God wants us to know and understand His word. Each time, before you read the word, you should pray and ask God to give you wisdom so that you will understand His word. Then, be patient and wait for it to appear in your life. Do not doubt God. He will perform as promised. Just continue to be faithful in reading His word and continually pray to God for wisdom.
3. Meditate on The Word Of God
1. Blessed (Happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly (following their advice, their plans and purposes), nor stands (submissive and inactive) in the path were sinners walk, nor sits down (to relax and rest) where the scornful (and the mockers) gather.
2. But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and ON HIS LAW (THE PRECEPTS, THE INSTRUCTIONS, THE TEACHINGS OF GOD) HE HABITUALLY MEDITATES (PONDERS AND STUDIES) BY DAY AND BY NIGHT.
3. And he shall be like a tree firmly planted (and tended) by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper (and come to maturity).
8. This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.
God makes it clear that he wants us to meditate on his word day and night. If we follow his guidance, Joshua points out that we will have good success. IF YOUR LIFE SEEMS TO BE IN TURMOIL, A LARGE PART OF THE PROBLEM COULD BE THAT YOU ARE NOT LIVING AS GOD'S WORD COMMUNICATES. Notice in PSALMS that it says that everything that we do shall prosper. Remember also that, "All things work together for good to them that love the Lord (ROMANS 8:28)." In meditating on God's word, you will also gain understanding. The Holy Spirit will speak to you in those quiet times.
My method for meditating is this:
1. I memorize the scripture that God has placed on my heart. The easiest way to memorize it is to say the scripture out loud continually until it absorbs in your spirit. Or else I will simply read over the passage of scriptures concerning the idea that God has given me.
2. Next, I reflect over the scripture word by word and then section by section.
The idea is to keep God's word continually before you. As you reflect, the Holy Spirit will give you the inspiration and insight that God has for you. The idea for His perfect plan.
4. Listen to the Holy Spirit
3. INCLINE YOUR EAR (SUBMIT AND CONSENT TO THE DIVINE WILL) and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy (kindness, goodwill, and compassion) promised to David.
1 THESSALONIANS 5:
23. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole SPIRIT and SOUL and BODY be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are a triune being: spirit, soul and body. God communicates with you through your spirit.
16. The SPIRIT Himself BEARS WITNESS (TESTIFIES TOGETHER) with OUR OWN SPIRIT, (assuring us) that we are children of God:
This is also the way that we know that we are a Christian. God's Spirit communicates with our spirit.
26. But the Comforter, which is the HOLY SPIRIT, whom the Father will send in my name, HE SHALL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
1 JOHN 2:
26. These things have I written unto you with reference to those who would deceive you (seduce and lead you astray).
27. But THE ANOINTING (THE SACRED APPOINTMENT, THE UNCTION) which you received from him ABIDES (PERMANENTLY) IN YOU; so you have no need that anyone should instruct you. But just as His ANOINTING TEACHES YOU CONCERNING EVERYTHING and is true and is no falsehood, so you should abide in (live in, never depart from) Him (being rooted in Him, knit to Him), just as (His anointing) has taught you (to do).
It is evident that the body to which this letter was addressed was having problems with false teachers. They were deceiving and leading astray the Christians and causing them to err concerning the word of God. We find this problem prevalent in many churches today. You must rely on the Holy Spirit to keep you on track with God's word. If you truly love the Lord, the Holy Spirit will not let you be misled for long. This is why it is critical that you read the word of God for yourself and investigate every word someone is trying to teach you.
As you start being obedient to God's command to read and study his word, which is for your own good, the Holy Spirit will guide your understanding.
Acts 17:11 Bible Studies
Bible Studies on various topics to encourage Christian
living, spiritual insight, growth, and faith.
Bible Study Lessons
Free Online Bible study lessons: Home
Bible lessons and courses
Internet Bible study resource center.
About The Bible
Internet Bible study resource center.
We provide advanced tools you can use to search the
Bible by keywords or verse,as well as other tools to
enhance your study of the Bible